- the saver of a person's life
- another name for lifeguard
- informal a person or thing that gives help in time of need
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- one who rescues another from danger of death, esp. from drowning.
- one that provides timely aid in a difficult situation.
- a person who rescues another from danger of death, esp. from drowning.
- a person or thing that saves a person, as from a difficult situation or critical moment:That money was a lifesaver.
- British Terms[Chiefly Brit.]a lifeguard.
- life + saver 1880–85