- another name for platelayer
- a person who does the chaining, taping, or marking of points for a surveyor
- Austral NZ (formerly) the member of a beach life-saving team who controlled the line used to help drowning swimmers and surfers
- a member of the row of players who start each down positioned on either side of the line of scrimmage
- US Canadian
another word for linesman
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Telecommunicationsa person who installs or repairs telephone, telegraph, or other wires.
- Sportone of the players in the line of a football team, as a center, guard, tackle, or end.
n., pl. -men.
- TelecommunicationsAlso,linesman. a person who installs or repairs telephone, telegraph, or other wires.
- Sport[Football.]one of the players in the line, as a center, guard, tackle, or end.
- Surveying[Survey.]a person who marks the positions of a survey mark with a range pole or the like.
- line1 + -man 1855–60