- an official who helps the referee or umpire in various sports, esp by indicating when the ball has gone out of play
- chiefly Brit a person who installs, maintains, or repairs telephone or electric-power lines
US and Canadian name: lineman
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Sportan official in tennis, soccer, football, or ice hockey who keeps track of boundaries, distances, or the like.
- an official, as in tennis and soccer, who assists the referee.
- [Football.]an official who marks the distances gained and lost in the progress of play and otherwise assists the referee and field judge.
- [Ice Hockey.]either of two officials who assist the referee by watching for icing, offside, and substitution violations and fouls and by conducting face-offs.
- Telecommunicationslineman (def. 1).
- line1 + 's1 + -man 1855–60