- a rock that consists of pure or nearly pure magnetite and thus is naturally magnetic
- a piece of such rock, which can be used as a magnet and which was formerly used as a primitive compass
- a person or thing regarded as a focus of attraction
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Mineralogy[uncountable] a mineral that possesses magnetism.
- Mineralogy[countable] something that attracts like a magnet.
- Mineralogya variety of magnetite that possesses magnetic polarity and attracts iron.
- a piece of this serving as a magnet.
- something that attracts strongly.
- lode (in obsolete sense "way, course'') + stone 1505–15