another name for alfalfa
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Plant Biologyalfalfa.
- Vulgar Latin *lūcerna, for Latin lucerna. See lucid
- Provencal luzerno glowworm (the plant was so called in allusion to its bright seeds); akin to Old Provencal luzerna lamp
- alteration (by association with Latin lucerna lamp) of French luzerne 1620–30
Lu•cerne (lo̅o̅ sûrn′; Fr. ly sern′),USA pronunciation n.
- Place Namesa canton in central Switzerland. 291,700;
576 sq. mi. (1490 sq. km).
- Place Namesthe capital of this canton, on Lake of Lucerne. 65,300.
- Place NamesLake of. Also called Lake of the Four Forest Cantons. a lake in central Switzerland. 24 mi. (39 km) long;
44 sq. mi. (114 sq. km). German, Luzern.
- a canton in central Switzerland, northwest of Lake Lucerne: joined the Swiss Confederacy in 1332. Pop: 352 300 (2002 est). Area: 1494 sq km (577 sq miles)
- a city in central Switzerland, capital of Lucerne canton, on Lake Lucerne: tourist centre. Pop: 59 496 (2000)
- Lake Lucerne ⇒ a lake in central Switzerland: fed and drained chiefly by the River Reuss. Area: 115 sq km (44 sq miles)
German name: Vierwaldstättersee
German name (for senses 1 and 2): Luzern