- either one of a pair of spongy saclike respiratory organs within the thorax of higher vertebrates, which oxygenate the blood and remove its carbon dioxide
- at the top of one's lungs ⇒ in one's loudest voice; yelling
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Anatomyeither of the two saclike organs used for breathing in the chest of humans and air-breathing animals.
- Anatomyeither of the two saclike respiratory organs in the thorax of humans and the higher vertebrates.
- Zoologyan analogous organ in certain invertebrates, as arachnids or terrestrial gastropods.
- Idiomsat the top of one's lungs, as loudly as possible; with full voice:The baby cried at the top of his lungs.
- bef. 1000; Middle English lungen, Old English; cognate with German Lunge; akin to light2, lights