- any tree of the Australian proteaceous genus Macadamia, esp M. ternifolia, having clusters of small white flowers and edible nutlike seeds
- macadamia nut ⇒ the seed of this tree
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Plant Biologyany Australian tree of the genus Macadamia, esp. M. ternifolia, having whorled leaves and elongated clusters of pink flowers.
- Plant BiologyAlso called macada′mia nut′. the edible, hard-shelled seed of this tree. Also called Queensland nut.
- Neo-Latin, named after John Macadam (died 1865), Australian chemist; see -ia