- a city in the US, in S central Wisconsin, on an isthmus between Lakes Mendota and Monona: the state capital. Pop: 218 432 (2003 est)
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- BiographicalJames, 1751–1836, 4th president of the U.S. 1809–17.
- Place Namesa city in and the capital of Wisconsin, in the S part. 170,616.
- Place Namesa city in NE New Jersey. 15,357.
- Place Namesa town in S Connecticut. 14,031.
- Place Namesa city in SE Indiana. 12,472.
- Music and Dancea dance in which the participants stand side by side in a line while one person, acting as leader, calls out various steps, each letter of the word "Madison'' signaling a specific step.