- any of the regular occasions, such as breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc, when food is served and eaten
- (in combination): mealtime
- the food served and eaten
- make a meal of ⇒ informal to perform (a task) with unnecessarily great effort
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- food served and eaten at one time:The children were served a hot meal.
- one such regular time or occasion for eating:too many snacks between meals.
meal2 /mil/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]
- Fooda coarse powder ground from the seeds of any grain:barley meal.
- Foodany ground substance, as of nuts or seeds.
- the edible part of a grain or pulse (excluding wheat) ground to a coarse powder, used chiefly as animal food
- Scot oatmeal
- chiefly US maize flour