- any small leguminous tree of the genus Prosopis, esp the tropical American P. juliflora, whose sugary pods (mesquite beans) are used as animal fodder
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Plant Biology[countable] a spiny tree or shrub of W North America.
- Plant Biology[noncount] the wood of such a tree or shrub.
- Plant Biologyany of several usually spiny trees or shrubs belonging to the genus Prosopis, of the legume family, as P. juliflora or P. glandulosa, of western North America, having bipinnate leaves and beanlike pods and often forming dense thickets.
- Plant Biologythe wood of such a tree or shrub, used esp. in grilling or barbecuing food.
- Plant Biologyany of various similar or related plants.
- Nahuatl mizquitl
- Mexican Spanish mezquite
- 1830–40, American.
Mes•quite (me skēt′, mi-),USA pronunciation n.
- Place Namesa city in NE Texas, E of Dallas. 67,053.