- a distance expressed in miles
- the total number of miles that a motor vehicle has travelled
- allowance for travelling expenses, esp as a fixed rate per mile
- the number of miles a motor vehicle will travel on one gallon of fuel
- informal use, benefit, or service provided by something
- informal grounds, substance, or weight: some mileage in the objectors' arguments
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- the total number of miles traveled in a given time:The mileage for our trip was over 2,000.
- the number of miles or average distance that a vehicle can travel on a quantity of fuel:The mileage is about 20 miles per gallon.
- wear, use, or profit:to get good mileage out of an old coat.
- the aggregate number of miles traveled over in a given time.
- Weights and Measureslength, extent, or distance in miles.
- the number of miles or the average distance that a vehicle can travel on a specified quantity of fuel:the car gets good mileage.
- wear, use, advantage, or profit:She won't get much more mileage out of this old coat.
- an allowance for traveling expenses at a fixed rate per mile:His mileage came to $90.
- a fixed charge per mile, as for railroad transportation.
- See mileage ticket.
- mile + -age 1745–55, American.