WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a strong military spirit or policy;
maintenance of a large military establishment.
- a strong military spirit or policy.
- the principle or policy of maintaining a large military establishment.
- the tendency to regard military efficiency as the supreme ideal of the state and to subordinate all other interests to those of the military.
- Latin mīlitār(is) military) + -isme -ism
- French militarisme, equivalent. to militar- (
- a person imbued with militarism.
- a person skilled in the conduct of war and military affairs.
- militar(y) + -ist 1595–1605