- a place for mooring a vessel
- a permanent anchor, dropped in the water and equipped with a floating buoy, to which vessels can moor
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- NauticalUsually,moorings. [plural] the means by which a ship, boat, or aircraft is moored:Ships were torn from their moorings.
- Nauticalmoorings, [plural] a place where a ship, boat, or aircraft may be moored:The safest moorings were on the mainland.
- Usually,moorings. a source of stability or security:Would he lose his moorings if he began to doubt his religion?