- a city, town, or district enjoying some degree of local self-government
- the governing body of such a unit
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Governmenta city, town, or borough having its own government:Small municipalities are looking for financial help from the state.
- Governmenta city, town, or other district possessing corporate existence and usually its own local government.
- Governmenta community under municipal jurisdiction.
- Governmentthe governing body of such a district or community.
- French municipalité. See municipal, -ity