- any of several burseraceous trees and shrubs of the African and S Asian genus Commiphora, esp C. myrrha, that exude an aromatic resin
- the resin obtained from such a plant, used in perfume, incense, and medicine
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Plant Biologya sweet-smelling, bitter substance from Arabian and E African plants, used chiefly in making incense.
- Plant Biologya plant giving this substance.
- Plant Biologyan aromatic resinous exudation from certain plants of the genus Myrrhis, esp. M. odorata, a small spiny tree: used for incense, perfume, etc.
- Greek mýrra
Akkadian murru; akin to Hebrew mōr, Arabic murr
- Latin myrrha
- Middle English, Old English myrre bef. 900