- belief in or experience of a reality surpassing normal human understanding or experience, esp a reality perceived as essential to the nature of life
- a system of contemplative prayer and spirituality aimed at achieving direct intuitive experience of the divine
- obscure or confused belief or thought
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- the beliefs, ideas, or way of thought of mystics.
- the belief that it is possible to gain knowledge of spiritual truths beyond ordinary human understanding, through a direct union with God that occurs after fasting, praying, or meditating.
- ideas or thoughts that are difficult or impossible to understand or prove:The physicist's ideas about the beginning of the universe are more mysticism than true science.