- the goddess of retribution and vengeance
- (sometimes not capital) any agency of retribution and vengeance
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- /-ˌsiz/.USA pronunciation
- a source or cause of harm or failure:The driving test was her nemesis; she failed it repeatedly.
- an opponent or rival that cannot be overcome:That pitcher was our team's nemesis; every time he faced us we lost.
- an agent of punishment for wrongdoing.
n., pl. -ses
- something that a person cannot conquer, achieve, etc.:The performance test proved to be my nemesis.
- an opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.
- Mythology(cap.)[Class. Myth.]the goddess of divine retribution.
- an agent or act of retribution or punishment.