- final release from the cycle of reincarnation attained by extinction of all desires and individual existence, culminating (in Buddhism) in absolute blessedness, or (in Hinduism) in absorption into Brahman
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Eastern Religions[often: Nirvana] (in Buddhism ) the final release from the cycle of being reborn again, that comes as a result of the ending of individual passion and hatred;
- a place or state in which there is freedom from pain and worry.
- (often cap.) Pali, nibbana. [Buddhism.]freedom from the endless cycle of personal reincarnations, with their consequent suffering, as a result of the extinction of individual passion, hatred, and delusion: attained by the Arhat as his goal but postponed by the Bodhisattva.
- (often cap.) [Hinduism.]salvation through the union of Atman with Brahma;
- a place or state characterized by freedom from or oblivion to pain, worry, and the external world.
- Sanskrit nirvāṇa