- the dried juice extracted from the unripe seed capsules of the opium poppy that contains alkaloids such as morphine and codeine: used in medicine as an analgesic
- something having a tranquillizing or stupefying effect
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Drugs, Plant Biologya narcotic drug made from the dried, condensed juice of the seed capsules of a poppy.
- opiate (def. 3).
- Drugs, Plant Biologythe dried, condensed juice of a poppy, Papaver somniferum, that has a narcotic, soporific, analgesic, and astringent effect and contains morphine, codeine, papaverine, and other alkaloids used in medicine in their isolated or derived forms: a narcotic substance, poisonous in large doses.
- anything that causes dullness or inaction or that soothes the mind or emotions.
- Greek ópion poppy juice, equivalent. to op(ós) sap, juice + -ion diminutive suffix
- Middle English 1350–1400