- a formal public declaration or speech
- any rhetorical, lengthy, or pompous speech
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a formal public speech, esp. for a special occasion.
- a formal public speech, esp. one delivered on a special occasion, as on an anniversary, at a funeral, or at academic exercises.
- a public speech characterized by a studied or elevated style, diction, or delivery.
- Latin ōrātiōn- (stem of ōrātiō) speech, prayer, equivalent. to ōrāt(us) (past participle of ōrāre to plead, derivative of ōr-, stem of ōs mouth) + -iōn- -ion
- Middle English oracion 1325–75
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged See speech.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged discourse, declamation.