WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
or•gan•i•za•tion /ˌɔrgənəˈzeɪʃən/USA pronunciation
n. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
or•gan•i•za•tion•al /ˌɔrgənəˈzeɪʃənəl/USA pronunciation adj. See -orga-.
- the act or process of organizing, planning, or working to put something together:[uncountable]the organization of a committee to run the banquet.
- [uncountable] the state or manner of being organized.
- the structure of something:[uncountable]the organization of brain cells to perform a function.
- a group of persons grouped together or organized for some purpose or work; an association:[countable]a national organization devoted to women's rights.
(ôr′gə nə zā′shən),USA pronunciation n.
- the act or process of organizing.
- the state or manner of being organized.
- something that is organized.
- organic structure;
composition:The organization of this painting is quite remarkable.
- a group of persons organized for some end or work;
association:a nonprofit organization.
- the administrative personnel or apparatus of a business.
- Governmentthe functionaries of a political party along with the offices, committees, etc., that they fill.
- an organism.
or′gan•i•za ′tion•al, adj.
or′gan•i•za ′tion•al•ly, adv.
- of or pertaining to an organization.
- Informal Termsconforming entirely to the standards, rules, or demands of an organization, esp. that of one's employer: an organization mentality.
- Medieval Latin organizātiōn- (stem of[organizātiō]), equivalent. to organizāt(us) (past participle of[organizāre;]see organize, -ate2) + -[iōn]- -ion
- late Middle English organizacion 1375–1425
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
organization, organisation /ˌɔːɡənaɪˈzeɪʃən/ n
ˌorganiˈzational, ˌorganiˈsational adj
- the act of organizing or the state of being organized
- an organized structure or whole
- a business or administrative concern united and constructed for a particular end
- a body of administrative officials, as of a political party, a government department, etc
- order or system; method
'organization' also found in these entries: