WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a charge in the form of a narrow band following the form of the escutcheon within the edge, so that the extreme outer edge of the escutcheon is of the field tincture.
- an arrangement in orle of small charges:azure, an orle of bezants.
- Heraldry[Armor.]a thick roll of cloth or leather on a helmet forming a base for an ornamental crest.
- Vulgar Latin *ōrulus, diminutive of Latin ōra border
- Middle French: border, edge