WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- an act or instance of participating.
- the fact of taking part, as in some action or attempt:participation in a celebration.
- a sharing, as in benefits or profits:participation in a pension plan.
- of or pertaining to a venture characterized by more than one person, bank, or company participating in risk or profit:a participation loan.
- Late Latin, as above
- Late Latin participātiōn-, stem of participātiō (see participate, -ion); replacing Middle English participacioun
- to take part or have a share, as with others:to participate in a conversation.
par•tic•i•pa•tor, n. [countable]See -cep-, -par-.
- to take or have a part or share, as with others; partake;
share (usually fol. by in):to participate in profits; to participate in a play.
- [Archaic.]to take or have a part or share in;
- Latin participātus (past participle of participāre to share), equivalent. to particip- (stem of particeps) taking part, partner (see participle) + -ātus -ate1
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged See share 1.