WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
pa•ter•ni•ty /pəˈtɝnɪti/USA pronunciation
adj. [before a noun]
- the state of being a father;
- origin or descent from a father.
- of or relating to a legal dispute in which a woman accuses a man of having fathered her child:a paternity suit.See -patr-.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
paternity /pəˈtɜːnɪtɪ/ n
Etymology: 15th Century: from Late Latin paternitās, from Latin pater father
- the fact or state of being a father
- (as modifier): a paternity suit was filed against the man
- descent or derivation from a father
- authorship or origin: the paternity of the theory is disputed
'paternity' also found in these entries:
In the English description: