- a member of a class of low social status that depends on either cottage industry or agricultural labour as a means of subsistence
- informal a person who lives in the country; rustic
- informal an uncouth or uncultured person
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- a member of a class of small farmers of low social rank, as in Europe:tried to unify the workers and peasants.
- an uneducated person lacking in good manners.
adj. [before a noun]
- of or relating to peasants.