- to puzzle; bewilder; confuse
- to complicate: to perplex an issue
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- to cause to be confused over what is not understood or certain:Her strange, quiet behavior perplexed me.
- to cause to be puzzled or bewildered over what is not understood or certain;
confuse mentally:Her strange response perplexed me.
- to make complicated or confused, as a matter or question.
- to hamper with complications, confusion, or uncertainty.
- back formation from perplexed 1585–95
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged mystify, confound.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged tangle, snarl.
- 3.See corresponding entry in Unabridged vex, annoy, bother.