- the branch of science concerned with the properties of matter and energy and the relationships between them. It is based on mathematics and traditionally includes mechanics, optics, electricity and magnetism, acoustics, and heat. Modern physics, based on quantum theory, includes atomic, nuclear, particle, and solid-state studies. It can also embrace applied fields such as geophysics and meteorology
- physical properties of behaviour: the physics of the electron
- archaic natural science or natural philosophy
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
the science that deals with matter, energy, motion, and force:Physics is what seems to have interested him the most.
- rare a medicine or drug, esp a cathartic or purge
- archaic the art or skill of healing
- (transitive) archaic to treat (a patient) with medicine