ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
pol•y•an•dry /ˈpɑliˌændri, ˌpɑliˈændri/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]the practice of having more than one husband at the same time.See -andro-.
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016 pol•y•an•dry
(pol′ē an′drē, pol′ē an′-),USA pronunciation n.
- Anthropologythe practice or condition of having more than one husband at one time. Cf. monandry (def. 1).
- Animal Behavior, Zoology(among female animals) the habit or system of having two or more mates, either simultaneously or successively.
- Botanythe state of being polyandrous.
- Greek polyandría. See poly-, -andry
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
polyandry /ˈpɒlɪˌændrɪ/ n
Etymology: 18th Century: from Greek poluandria, from poly- + -andria from anēr manˌpolyˈandrous adj
- the practice or condition of being married to more than one husband at the same time
- the practice in animals of a female mating with more than one male during one breeding season
- the condition in flowers of having a large indefinite number of stamens
'polyandry' also found in these entries: