- a low structure projecting from the doorway of a house and forming a covered entrance
- US Canadian an exterior roofed gallery, often partly enclosed; veranda
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Architecturean outside addition to a building, forming a covered approach or entrance to a doorway.
- Architecturea raised platform on the outside of a building, usually level with a door;
- Architecturean exterior appendage to a building, forming a covered approach or vestibule to a doorway.
- Architecturea veranda.
- Ancient History, Philosophythe Porch, the portico or stoa in the agora of ancient Athens, where the Stoic philosopher Zeno of Citium and his followers met.
- Architecture[Obs.]a portico.
- Latin porticus porch, portico
- Old French
- Middle English porche 1250–1300