- a person employed to carry luggage, parcels, supplies, etc, esp at a railway station or hotel
- (in hospitals) a person employed to move patients from place to place
- US Canadian a railway employee who waits on passengers, esp in a sleeper
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- one hired to carry baggage, as at a hotel.
- one who does cleaning, repairs, etc., in a building, store, etc. See -port-.
one who has charge of a door or gate;
- chiefly Brit a person in charge of a gate or door; doorman or gatekeeper
- a person employed by a university or college as a caretaker and doorkeeper who also answers enquiries
- a person in charge of the maintenance of a building, esp a block of flats
- Brit a dark sweet ale brewed from black malt