- a drink, esp of medicine, poison, or some supposedly magic beverage
- a rare word for beverage
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a drink having powers of medicine, poison, or magic:He drank a magic potion that changed him into a lizard.
- a drink or draft, esp. one having or reputed to have medicinal, poisonous, or magical powers:a love potion; a sleeping potion.
- Latin, as above
- Latin pōtiōn- (stem of pōtiō) a drinking, equivalent. to pōt(us), variant of pōtātus, past participle of pōtāre to drink + -iōn- -ion; replacing Middle English pocioun
- Middle English pocion 1300–50
- elixir, brew, concoction, philter.