- the act of preferring
- something or someone preferred
- the granting of favour or precedence to particular foreign countries, as by levying differential tariffs
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- the act of preferring;
the state of being preferred[uncountable]showing preference in hiring practices.
- something preferred[countable]My preference would be for a vegetarian meal.
- Government[uncountable] the favoring of one country over others in international trade.
- the act of preferring.
- the state of being preferred.
- that which is preferred;
choice:His preference is vanilla, not chocolate.
- a practical advantage given to one over others.
- a prior right or claim, as to payment of dividends or to assets upon dissolution.
- the favoring of one country or group of countries by granting special advantages over others in international trade.
- Medieval Latin praeferentia. See prefer, -ence