- the act of preferring
- something or someone preferred
- the granting of favour or precedence to particular foreign countries, as by levying differential tariffs
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- [uncountable] the act of preferring;
the state of being preferred:showing preference in hiring practices.
- [countable] something preferred:My preference would be for a vegetarian meal.
- Government[uncountable] the favoring of one country over others in international trade.