- (prenominal) previous; preceding
- prior to ⇒ before; until
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- coming before another;
earlier:a prior commitment.
- greater in importance:a prior claim on his time.
- Idiomsprior to, coming before; preceding;
before:Prior to this job she had worked in Austria.
pri•or2 /ˈpraɪɚ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]
Religiona monk in a monastery who is ranked next below an abbot.
- the superior of a house and community in certain religious orders
- the deputy head of a monastery or abbey, ranking immediately below the abbot
- Matthew. 1664–1721, English poet and diplomat, noted for his epigrammatic occasional verse