ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
pro•hi•bi•tion /ˌproʊəˈbɪʃən/USA pronunciation
n. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- [uncountable] the act of prohibiting.
- the prohibiting of the manufacture, sale, and transportation of alcoholic beverages by law.
a law, rule, order, or regulation that forbids[countable]a prohibition against public nudity.
pro•hi•bi•tion•ist, n. [countable]See -hab-.
- [usually: Prohibition] the period (1920–33) during which such a law was in effect in the U.S.
(prō′ə bish′ən), n.
- the act of prohibiting.
- Governmentthe legal prohibiting of the manufacture and sale of alcoholic drinks for common consumption.
- Government(often cap.) the period (1920–33) when the Eighteenth Amendment was in force and alcoholic beverages could not legally be manufactured, transported, or sold in the U.S.
- a law or decree that forbids.
4 . interdiction.
- Latin prohibitiōn- (stem of prohibitiō). See prohibit, -ion
- Middle English 1275–1325
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
prohibition /ˌprəʊɪˈbɪʃən/ n
- the act of prohibiting or state of being prohibited
- an order or decree that prohibits
- (sometimes capital) (esp in the US) a policy of legally forbidding the manufacture, transportation, sale, or consumption of alcoholic beverages except for medicinal or scientific purposes
- an order of a superior court (in Britain the High Court) forbidding an inferior court to determine a matter outside its jurisdiction
Prohibition /ˌprəʊɪˈbɪʃən/ n
- the period (1920–33) when the manufacture, sale, and transportation of intoxicating liquors was banned by constitutional amendment in the US
'prohibition' also found in these entries: