- the act, instance, or manner of pronouncing sounds
- the supposedly correct manner of pronouncing sounds in a given language
- a phonetic transcription of a word
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- [uncountable] the way in which a sound, word, sentence, etc., is pronounced:making fun of my pronunciation.
- the way in which a sound, word, sentence, etc., is to be pronounced in an accepted manner: [uncountable]a study of pronunciation.[countable]Only one of these pronunciations is correct. See -nounce-.