- the collection or requisition of provisions for a sovereign
- rare the act of purveying
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- the act of purveying.
- something that is purveyed, as provisions.
- Law[Eng. Law.]a prerogative of the crown, abolished in 1660, allowing provisions, supplies, or services for the sovereign or the royal household to be purchased or acquired at an appraised value.
- Latin prōvidentia. See providence
- Old French purveance
- 1225–75; purvey + -ance; replacing Middle English purvea(u)nce, purvya(u)nce