- to provide or be provided with the abilities or attributes necessary for a task, office, duty, etc: his degree qualifies him for the job, he qualifies for the job, but would he do it well?
- (transitive) to make less strong, harsh, or violent; moderate or restrict
- (transitive) to modify or change the strength or flavour of
another word for modify
- (transitive) to attribute a quality to; characterize
- (intransitive) to progress to the final stages of a competition, as by winning preliminary contests