- a fourth part of certain weights or measures, such as a peck or a pound
- Also called: quartern loaf Brit a type of loaf 4 inches square, used esp for making sandwiches
- any loaf weighing 1600 g when baked
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
n. [Chiefly Brit.]
- Weights and Measuresa quarter, or a fourth part, esp. of certain weights and measures, as of a pound, ounce, peck, or pint.
- Old French quarteron, derivative of quart fourth. See quart1
- Middle English quartroun, quartron, quartern 1250–1300