- (often followed by to) to confine or keep within certain often specified limits or selected bounds
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- to keep within limits, as of space, action, amount, etc.:restricted his men to two glasses of water a day.
- to confine or keep within limits, as of space, action, choice, intensity, or quantity.
- Latin restrictus drawn back, tightened, bound, reserved, origin, originally past participle of restringere to restrain, equivalent. to re- re- + strictus strict
- curb, circumscribe, abridge, restrain.