- the act of retiring from one's work, office, etc
- (as modifier): retirement age
- the period of being retired from work: she had many plans for her retirement
- seclusion from the world; privacy
- the act of going away or retreating
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- the act of retiring or the state of being retired.
- removal or withdrawal from service, office, or business.
- the portion of a person's life during which a person is retired.
- a pension or other income on which a retired person lives:His retirement is barely enough to pay the rent.
- withdrawal into privacy or seclusion.
- privacy or seclusion.
- a private or secluded place.
- Militaryorderly withdrawal of a military force, according to plan, without pressure from the enemy.
- withdrawal of securities from the market by a corporation, as through payment at maturity, repurchase, or exchange.
- noting or pertaining to retirement:retirement pay.
- Middle French; see retire, -ment