WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
rich /rɪtʃ/USA pronunciation
adj., -er, -est,n.
having wealth or great possessions.
having great or many natural resources:a rich harvest last year.
[be + ~ + with/in] having a great amount of something:fruits rich in vitamin C.
containing a large amount of cream, butter, fat, sugar, or the like:a rich gravy.
(of color, etc.) deep, strong, full, or mellow:a deep, rich red wine.
[be + ~][Informal.]
the rich, [plural; used with a plural verb] rich people thought of as a group:The rich get richer.
rich•ness, n. [uncountable]
- highly amusing, so as to be absurd:Go on a date with you? Ha, that's rich!
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
rich /rɪtʃ/ adj
- well supplied with wealth, property, etc; owning much
- (as collective noun; preceded by the): the rich
- when postpositive, usually followed by in: having an abundance of natural resources, minerals, etc: a land rich in metals
- producing abundantly; fertile: rich soil
- when postpositive, usually followed by in or with: well supplied (with desirable qualities); abundant (in): a country rich with cultural interest
- of great worth or quality; valuable: a rich collection of antiques
- luxuriant or prolific: a rich growth of weeds
- expensively elegant, elaborate, or fine; costly: a rich display
- (of food) having a large proportion of flavoursome or fatty ingredients, such as spices, butter, or cream
- having a full-bodied flavour: a rich ruby port
- (of a smell) pungent or fragrant
- (of colour) intense or vivid; deep: a rich red
- (of sound or a voice) full, mellow, or resonant
- (of a fuel-air mixture) containing a relatively high proportion of fuel
- very amusing, laughable, or ridiculous: a rich joke, a rich situation
Etymology: Old English rīce (originally of persons: great, mighty), of Germanic origin, ultimately from Celtic (compare Old Irish rī king)
- See riches
Rich /rɪtʃ/ n
- Adrienne. born 1929, US poet and feminist writer; her volumes of poetry include Snapshots of a Daughter-in-Law (1963) and Diving Into the Wreck (1973)
- Buddy, real name Bernard Rich. 1917–87, US jazz drummer and band leader
'rich' also found in these entries: