- an act, phrase, gesture, etc, that serves as a greeting
- a form of words used as an opening to a speech or letter, such as Dear Sir or Ladies and Gentlemen
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- something said, written, or done by way of greeting, welcome, etc.: [countable]In many languages salutations are words referring to good health.[uncountable]a few words in salutation.
- salutations, [plural] greetings or regards.
- the act of saluting.
- something uttered, written, or done by way of saluting.
- a word or phrase serving as the prefatory greeting in a letter or speech, as Dear Sir in a letter or Ladies and Gentlemen in a speech.
- Latin salūtātiōn- (stem of salūtātiō) greeting, equivalent. to salūtāt(us) (past participle of salūtāre to greet; see salute, -ate1) + -iōn- -ion
- Middle English 1350–1400