- any of various prickly climbing plants of the tropical American genus Smilax having large aromatic roots and heart-shaped leaves: family Smilacaceae
- the dried roots of any of these plants, formerly used as a medicine
- a nonalcoholic drink prepared from these roots
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- Plant Biology[countable] a vine that grows in warm regions, having heart-shaped leaves.
- Plant Biology[uncountable] the root of this vine, used as a flavoring.
- Fooda soft drink, such as root beer, flavored with this: [uncountable]sold sarsaparilla in those old drugstores.[countable]Two sarsaparillas, please.