- Try out WordReference Random Word. Each page load will return a random word from the dictionary. Or test your knowledge and have each page load with the definition hidden!
scheme /skim/USA pronunciation
n., v., schemed, schem•ing.
- a plan of action;
project or system:a scheme to speed up production.
- a dishonest, usually secret plot; an intrigue.
- a diagram, map, or the like.
schem•er, n. [countable]
- to create (something) as a scheme;
plot: [~ + object]schemed a way to avoid the work.[no object]went around scheming so much no one trusted him.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
scheme /skiːm/ n
- a systematic plan for a course of action
- a systematic arrangement of correlated parts; system
- a secret plot
- a visionary or unrealizable project
- a chart, diagram, or outline
- an astrological diagram giving the aspects of celestial bodies at a particular time
- chiefly Brit a plan formally adopted by a commercial enterprise or governmental body, as for pensions, etc
- chiefly Scot an area of housing that is laid out esp by a local authority; estate
Etymology: 16th Century: from Latin schema, from Greek skhēma formˈschemer n
- (transitive) to devise a system for
- to form intrigues (for) in an underhand manner
'scheme' also found in these entries:
In the English description: