WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Slang Terms to carry with great effort;
lug:[~ + object]I don't want you to schlep that heavy suitcase.
- Slang Terms[no object] to move slowly or with too much care.
- Slang Termsone who is slow or awkward.
- an annoyingly awkward or slow journey:That's too big a schlep, going all the way downtown.
- Slang Termsto carry;
lug:to schlep an umbrella on a sunny day.
- Slang Termsto move slowly, awkwardly, or tediously:We schlepped from store to store all day.
- Slang TermsAlso, schlep′per. someone or something that is tedious, slow, or awkward;
drag. Also, schlepp, shlep, shlepp.
c. MHG, OHG sleifen (G schleifen);
akin to slip1, slippery]