- relating to signs and symbols, esp spoken or written signs
- relating to semiotics
- of, relating to, or resembling the symptoms of disease; symptomatic
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
- Linguisticsof or pertaining to signs.
- Linguisticsof or pertaining to semiotics.
- Medicine[Med.]of or pertaining to symptoms;
- Greek sēmeiōtiké̄, noun, nominal use of feminine of sēmeiōtikós, adapted by John Locke (on the model of Greek logiké̄ logic, etc; see -ic) to mean "the doctrine of signs''; (defs. 1, 2) based on Locke's coinage or a reanalysis of the Greek word
- Greek sēmeiōtikós significant, equivalent. to sēmeiō-, verbid stem of sēmeioûn to interpret as a sign (derivative of Greek sēmeîon sign) + -tikos -tic; (def. 4)
- (def. 3) 1615–20