- a pouchlike hat, often of net, loosely holding a woman's hair at the back
- a headband, esp one formerly worn by young unmarried women in Scotland
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Clothingthe distinctive headband formerly worn by young unmarried women in Scotland and northern England.
- Clothinga headband for the hair.
- Clothinga netlike hat or part of a hat or fabric that holds or covers the back of a woman's hair.
- Anatomythe pendulous skin over the beak of a turkey.
- to bind or confine (the hair) with a snood.
- bef. 900; Middle English: fillet, ribbon; Old English snōd