- the programs that can be used with a particular computer system
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
used with a singular verb]
- programs for directing a computer or processing electronic data (distinguished from hardware
- Radio and Televisionany material requiring the use of equipment, esp. audiovisual material such as film, tapes, or records.
- Computing[Computers.]the programs used to direct the operation of a computer, as well as documentation giving instructions on how to use them. Cf.hardware (def. 5).
- Radio and Televisionanything that is not hardware but is used with hardware, esp. audiovisual materials, as film, tapes, records, etc.:a studio fully equipped but lacking software.
- Show Business[Television Slang.]prepackaged materials, as movies or reruns, used to fill out the major part of a station's program schedule.
- soft + ware1 1955–60