- of, relating to, or designating animals that are below man (Homo sapiens) in evolutionary development
- less than human
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a person or animal lower in some way than a human.
- acting in a way beneath the level of a human, as by being cruel, horrible, etc.
- lower in some way than a human, as in development.
- Zoologyless than or not quite human.
- Zoologyalmost human:In some respects, the porpoise is subhuman.
- sub- + human 1785–95