WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
sub•scrip•tion /səbˈskrɪpʃən/USA pronunciation
n. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- [countable] a sum of money given or pledged as a contribution, investment, etc.
- [uncountable] a fund raised through sums of money subscribed.
- [countable] the right to have a newspaper or magazine delivered, receive cable television service, attend a series of concerts or plays, etc., in exchange for a sum paid.
(səb skrip′shən),USA pronunciation n.
(səb skrip′tiv),USA pronunciation adj.
- a sum of money given or pledged as a contribution, payment, investment, etc.
- the right to receive a periodical for a sum paid, usually for an agreed number of issues.
- an arrangement for presenting a series of concerts, plays, etc., that one may attend by the payment of a membership fee:to purchase a 10-concert subscription.
- British Terms[Chiefly Brit.]the dues paid by a member of a club, society, etc.
- a fund raised through sums of money subscribed.
- a sum subscribed.
- the act of appending one's signature or mark, as to a document.
- a signature or mark thus appended.
- something written beneath or at the end of a document or the like.
- a document to which a signature is attached.
- assent, agreement, or approval expressed verbally or by signing one's name.
- Religion[Eccles.]assent to or acceptance of a body of principles or doctrines, the purpose of which is to establish uniformity.
- Religion[Ch. of Eng.]formal acceptance of the Thirty-nine Articles of 1563 and the Book of Common Prayer.
- Latin subscrīptiōn- (stem of subscrīptiō) a writing beneath, equivalent. to subscrīpt(us) (see subscript) + -iōn- -ion
- 1400–50; late Middle English
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
subscription /səbˈskrɪpʃən/ n
- a payment or promise of payment for consecutive issues of a magazine, newspaper, book, etc, over a specified period of time
- the advance purchase of tickets for a series of concerts, operas, etc
- (as modifier): a subscription concert
- an amount of money paid or promised, as to a charity, or the fund raised in this way
- an offer to buy shares or bonds issued by a company
- the act of signing one's name to a document, etc
- a signature or other appendage attached to the bottom of a document, etc
- agreement, consent, or acceptance expressed by or as if by signing one's name
- a signed document, statement, etc
- chiefly Brit the membership dues or fees paid to a society or club
- an advance order for a new product
- the sale of books, etc, prior to printing
- (as modifier): a subscription edition
'subscription' also found in these entries: